Monday, October 8, 2012

A Garden is a Lovesome Thing

"A Garden is a lovesomething, God wot!"   Thomas Edward Brown.

With retirement I have had more time to spend in my garden and we have laboured long to put it to rights after some years of almost neglect.  I would like to record what happens in my garden over a year, so the idea for this new blog (as if I need yet another project!) was born. I hope to share with you, not only the pleasures of my garden, but of any other garden  that catches my eye, fills my heart and excites my imagination.
Come on this journey with me through a year in the garden. I'm beginning with October because it is Spring downunder and Spring brings the garden to new life each year.



First let me introduce you to some of my favourite spots. This dry stone wall was bulit by my son from the stones that were used in the original cottage nearly 150 years ago.


This area is called Granny's Grotto because my mother used to love to sit here. Until last winter it was surrounded by shady trees, but we had several large trees crash down in a storm so now the grotto is open to the sun.



This is the side garden which borders the creek. The old willow in the background is one of the survivors of the storm that brought down its neighbours.



I love this birdbath and the bluebells around it. My garden is live with bluebells at the moment.



A pretty little overgrown path bordered with spikes of  deep blue Ajuga.  We are very blue at the moment, having just recovered from a pink and white phase with flowering prunus, camellias and magnolias.


White sparaxis and bluebells make a stunning display.


More bluebells. They are everywhere. So cheeful after a long winter.



The flowering cherry is about to flower - rather sparsely this year I am afraid.

Well, in the words of John Crundall, a much loved gardener in Australia, "That's your lot for the day."

Liz Needle


No comments:

Post a Comment